Agreed. Am not sure we can wait forever for Java to provide Asynchronous I/O's - was supposed to be part of NIO.2 and it has now been postponed to Java SE 7.0 - Coming up with Derby's own Async I/O layer (w/ worker threads) seems to make more sense all of a suden...

On 12/19/05, ōystein GrÝvlen <Oystein.Grovlen@sun.com> wrote:

    MM> you are right, I'll have to think about this some more.  Until java
    MM> gets async, guaranteed sync'd to disk writes I think we should continue
    MM> to use the current method for user initiated writes.

Or we can implement the async writes ourselves by using designated
write threads.

--
ōystein