db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mamta Satoor <msat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Derby-359]Skipping over user inserted values into GENERATED BY DEFAULT identity columns....
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:34:02 GMT
Hi Dan,

Your interpretation of these locks is more precise than mine. Since the
create unique index put shared locks on some of the SYSCOLUMNS rows, the
nested transaction can't get exclusive locks on those rows and hence it
reverts back to using the parent transaction.

Now that we understand the current functionality, do we still see a need for
improvement here? Is there a bug here which we need to address? I think this
is an edge case where ddl is in the same transaction as dml and that's why
there are locking issues.

Mamta