db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Smith <brianlsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Derby logo
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:24:34 GMT
I am not a committer. But, I am curious about why you don't have a "No Logo"
option or a "Wait for more submissions" option.

Firstly, I think that they name "Derby" is a reference to racing, which
implies that the product is fast. This is a good association. However, most
entries seem to be based on that fact that "derby" *could* also refer to a
type of hat that most people have absolutely no knowledge of. I don't see
how this allusion to obscure trivia is useful to the project. Besides that,
there are already major, successful open-source projects using hat logos
(Red Hat and Fedora). Therefore, I believe that the hat logos are all
fundamentally unhelpful, regardless of their impressive artistic merits.

Secondly, it seems like this logo idea was just conceived a very short time
ago. The next version of Derby won't be released for some time. I don't
understand why these kinds of marketing decisions cannot be deferred to a
time closer to the release date. Since there is no pressing need for a logo,
I think that it makes sense to wait for a really spectacular submission,
even if it doesn't happen immediately.

Thirdly, I think that you would get a much broader (and potentially better)
set of submissions if this was announced in forums that are oriented towards
graphic design. Just like I wouldn't ask the population of a woodworking
convention to design lingerie, I don't think it is a good idea to ask a
mailing list consisting almost exclusively of programmers to create artwork.

Finally, I don't understand why every project needs to have a logo in the
first place. Out of the following databases, how many of them have a logo
that made enough of an impression on you that you could sketch it: SQL
Server, DB2, Oracle, Firebird, PostgreSQL, MySQL, HSQL? Furthermore, none of
the API's that I use on a regular basis have any logo worth noting.

- Brian