db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Morissette <jean.morisse...@gmail.com>
Subject Making Derby architecture more modular
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:59:34 GMT
Hi,
    I developed a database front-end consisting mainly of a parser, a
type system, a type-checker, a logical algebra and an optimizer, for a
language similar to SQL.  I would happy if I could plug my front-end
with the Derby back-end, mapping my logical algebra with the Derby
physical operators.

However, it seems to me that the Derby architecture is not very
modular.  Indeed, IMO, Derby engine should be separated at least into
a front-end and a back-end, with well defined API.  The backend could
consist of the store, and the transaction mecanisms (locking, logging,
crash recovery).

Also, separating Derby engine into layers/components would decrease
the project complexity, helping newcomers.

Is there any plan to improve Derby architecture?

Regards,
Jean