db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: So you wanna write some database code
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:25:55 GMT
On 12/15/05, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> wrote:

> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>

> > For the newcomers,   focusing on quality items as outlined in DERBY-257
> > can add great value and learning potential  with very low (often no)
> > risk.   Contributions of this type I think deserve our highest level of
> > attention.  I think it is everyone's itch to bring more high quality
> > contributions and contributors to the project.
>
> Agreed, and I think we could do a better job of encouraging more
> contributions "around" the engine as a way to get started with Derby.
>
> Examples are:
>
>   Sample applications.
>
>   Admin/Query servlets -  I was talking to Susan Cline on the flight
> back from Apachecon last night and she said it would be great if there
> was some web-based api to Derby, either as an example or as a starting
> point for a complete web-based api. The servlets coupled with an
> embedded servlet container like Jetty would be very cool.

Interesting you're mentioning this...as part of the browser embedded derby
Ajax demo I showed at ApacheCon, I developed a tiny HTTP request service
interface to Derby which issues queries against this last one and return
data in XML format (only one supported at this time) - this is not a full
blown web server obviously and does not need to be - just enough to send
queries to Derby via HTTP and get data back in XML...footprint obviously is
very low...

A JMX interface to Derby for Admin/Monitoring purposes would be nice as
well....