db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Deepa Remesh <drem...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interaction of security manager with DRDA tracing -- is this bug?
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:39:20 GMT
On 12/24/05, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
> I was trying to enable server-side DRDA tracing while running
> a particular test by hand. I tweaked procedure_derby.properties
> to add
> derby.drda.traceAll=true
> derby.drda.traceDirectory=/some/directory
> I created /some/directory and then ran my test, only to see
> it *hang*. I used kill -QUIT to get a stack trace from my
> test and am including that information below.
> I guess what I'm trying to figure out here is: it seems that
> when the DRDA tracing fails with a security exception, some
> bit of Network Server session initialization fails and instead
> of getting a clear error, I get a hang instead.
> Is this a bug? Or is this just the way it works?

I too expect a clear error from network server instead of a hang.
Maybe you can open a JIRA issue for this.

> BTW, what is the best/easiest way to turn on such tracing
> while running a particular test; I seem to be stomping and
> pawing at the ground and not having terribly much success...

The security permissions used by tests are in
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.derby_tests.policy file. If
you need write permission to some other directory for your test, you
will have to add the permission to this file. It is recommended to
keep the permissions in this file to a minimal set. But it is good to
have permissions for a particular directory for tracing. Dan explains
this is in detail in this thread:

Hope this helps.

View raw message