db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: clobber target
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:18:26 GMT
On 12/6/05, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
> Somewhat of a tangent, but could you take a few moments and explain
> the intent behind having both "clobber" and "clean"? I don't understand
> why it isn't sufficient just to have "ant clean". When are we supposed
> to use "clean" versus "clobber"?

"clean" removes the contents of the build output directory only.
Running the clean target is useful if you know you don't need to
regenerate the sanity state or the parser files but you want a full
recompile. "clobber" also removes generated files outside of the build
output directory like the sanity state properties, the parser files
generated by javacc and the class size catalog. It seems to me that
the jars, being generated files and living outside the build output
directory, would be a logical candidate for addition to the clobber
target.

Personally, I almost always clobber and almost never clean. Although,
with the jars and javadoc added to clobber, I would probably use the
clean target more often, as sometimes I don't want to blow away the
jars or javadoc when doing a full recompile.

Also, one could argue that the generated files like the parser files
should move to the clean target to more reflect the general use of
that target name, and having clobber take care of the higher-level
build output like jars, javadoc, etc.

andrew