db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Grant and Revoke, Part I ... DERBY-464...
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:02:41 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Let us look at the issues and some assumptions. A solution may follow
from it and this definitely needs some debate. The assumptions here are
my proposals only.<br>
<ol>
  <li>My current proposal (attached to Jira) would allow migrating
databases from legacy security mode into sqlStandard mode, but not the
otherway.</li>
  <li>It is preferred to avoid change in behavior to existing
applications that may be using defaultConnectionMode.</li>
  <li>Current default value for defaultConnectionMode is 'fullAccess'
and not going to be changed to sqlStandard for 10.2 release. I do think
some feedback on how sqlStandard mode is working is needed before any
changes.<br>
  </li>
  <li>It is possible to have some databases in legacy security mode and
some in sqlStandard mode in any installation.</li>
  <li>sqlStandard mode is likely going to be the default mode at some
in the future and likely preferred if not the only mode at long time
later.</li>
</ol>
Are these the likely goals for a solution? We could use
derby.database.propertiesOnly to override system properties with
database properties, but that would change all properties, right?<br>
Satheesh<br>
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">
I'm not sure about this, I can't find what Satheesh is refering to when
he said 'Dan raised an important question ...'.

I found one comment by me in the thread where I was talking about system
properties in general.

Databases do have an existing way to override system properties, by
setting the database property derby.database.propertiesOnly

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tuning/rtunproper24390.html">http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tuning/rtunproper24390.html</a>

Dan.
  </pre>