db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject new uses for basic services cache - looking for advice
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:50:19 GMT
I believe the store's file container cache would benefit from the following:
o ability to insert duplicate key items into the cache
o ability to return one of the keys that is not busy, rather than
   wait on one that is.
o ability to add an item if all the matching keys are busy

I think this is new to the current cache.  My question is how best to
add such functionality.

Is this something that can be handled by the current cache, with only
changes to the object's being cached themselves?  I know the way the
cache and lock manager is designed you can get a lot of different kinds
of functionality by changing code in the cache interfaces that the
objects interface rather than the cache.

Or is this a basic change (unique key vs. duplicate key), that will
require changes to cache manager?