db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: So you wanna write some database code
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:36:19 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Agreed, and I think we could do a better job of encouraging more
> contributions "around" the engine as a way to get started with Derby.
>
> Examples are:

[snip]

>   Telnet access - I was working with Apache James and they use telnet
> for remote admin, login and then issue statements like
>
> adduser fred pass92word
>
> Seems like a telnet access to a database would be cool, using ij as the
> scripting language, e.g.
>
> telnet derbyhost:2253
> <user/password stuff>
> ij> select * from my table;
>
> Since James does this in Java it has to be possible for Derby, and then
> one could access a Derby database without installing java or derbyools
> on your client. I looked at the James code quickly, but didn't see the
> code for the telnet server.

This is an interesting idea - although I'm a bit worried about the
inherent security deficiencies of telnet. I guess it depends on which
use cases this tool/feature is designed for.

I found the James telnet (Remote Manager) source at
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/james/server/trunk/src/java/org/apache/james/remotemanager/

--
John