db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Anyone have time to test out a possible client bug?
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:59:08 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> With db2jcc as my driver, I still get a Distributed Protocol Exception
> using your code.
>
> With derbyclient as my driver, I get a Batch Update Exception,
> complaining about
> invalid SQL in the batch.
>
> Both behaviors seemed wrong to me, or at least worthy of further
> investigation,
> so I filed DERBY-767 and attached the test program that I used (which
> is just your
> code snippet with a little bit more connection boilerplate around it).

Thanks for looking at this.

I agree that the client error message doesn't seem  right for the
conditions in this case, but am glad we don't have a protocol
exception..   It would be nice if it threw the same error as embedded.
Perhaps a subtask of DERBY-254 would be appropriate for this.

For DERBY-767, I  think the protocol error is likely a JCC specific bug
and not a DERBY Network Server bug as it does not reproduce with client.
but I could be wrong.    Usually,  if I am not sure if a bug is JCC or
NetworkServer, I will try JCC against DB2.  If  the case passes against
DB2 with JCC , then I suspect a network server issue. If it still fails
I blame JCC.

Kathey