db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: So you wanna write some database code
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:23:55 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> For the newcomers,   focusing on quality items as outlined in DERBY-257
> can add great value and learning potential  with very low (often no)
> risk.   Contributions of this type I think deserve our highest level of
> attention.  I think it is everyone's itch to bring more high quality
> contributions and contributors to the project.

Agreed, and I think we could do a better job of encouraging more
contributions "around" the engine as a way to get started with Derby.

Examples are:

  Sample applications.

  Admin/Query servlets -  I was talking to Susan Cline on the flight
back from Apachecon last night and she said it would be great if there
was some web-based api to Derby, either as an example or as a starting
point for a complete web-based api. The servlets coupled with an
embedded servlet container like Jetty would be very cool.

  Telnet access - I was working with Apache James and they use telnet
for remote admin, login and then issue statements like

adduser fred pass92word

Seems like a telnet access to a database would be cool, using ij as the
scripting language, e.g.

telnet derbyhost:2253
<user/password stuff>
ij> select * from my table;

Since James does this in Java it has to be possible for Derby, and then
one could access a Derby database without installing java or derbyools
on your client. I looked at the James code quickly, but didn't see the
code for the telnet server.

I'm sure there are other ideas as well.

Dan.