db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: [Derby-359]Skipping over user inserted values into GENERATED BY DEFAULT identity columns....
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:38:47 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Forgot to mention, insert itself doesn't fail for duplicate value if
there is a GENERATED BY DEFAULT column. The insert would fail if there
is a unique index on the column, as the bug description says.<br>
Satheesh<br>
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:<br>
  <title></title>
Current problem with GENERATED BY DEFAULT is that once it generates a
value that is already present in the table, <b>NONE</b> of the future
inserts can succeed. I can understand the current insert failing when
there is a duplicate value, but preventing all future inserts (fails
because they keep generating the same value, I suppose) seems wrong.<br>
I would be happy if Derby can consume identity values even if current
insert statement fails. For this case, some insert statements may fail
when they generate a value that is already present. But subsequent
inserts should pass.<br>
Satheesh<br>
Mamta Satoor wrote:
 cite="midd9619e4a0512130849m12f7d7e6wd0d0418dbc4fb115@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
exact
scope of this bug. Are we saying that when system generates a value for
GENERATED BY DEFAULT column, it should check if the next value it plans
to insert is already used and if yes, then it should skip that value
and try to use the next value and continue this until it finds an
unused value for the column? </div>