db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Is it possible that DERBY-491 and DERBY-614 are related?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:13:00 GMT
I was looking through the open bugs and became interested
in DERBY-491, because it seems on the surface like it
might be related to DERBY-614.

I tried reproducing DERBY-491, and I think I was successful,
although the bug report for DERBY-491 isn't very detailed
about the symptoms that I should expect to see. What I see is:

-=- ERROR 1 REPRODUCED:
org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException: actual code point, -2 does not match expected
code point, 8709
         at org.apache.derby.client.net.Reply.zThrowSyntaxError(Reply.java:1163)
         at org.apache.derby.client.net.Reply.parseLengthAndMatchCodePoint(Reply.java:1063)

Next, I tried running the test case for DERBY-491, using a
server which contains my proposed patch for DERBY-614.

Interestingly, the behavior changes. Instead of getting
the client-side exception, I instead get a "hang".

I notice that DERBY-491, DERBY-492 (which describes a "hang"),
and DERBY-170 are all marked as inter-related.

I guess what I'm wondering is: is it possible that DERBY-614
is related to these problems as well, and, furthermore, what
did I do in my proposed changes for DERBY-614 which is causing
DERBY-491 to change from an exception into a hang?

It seems like it ought to be a clue, but I'm not sure what it means.
It would be bad if my DERBY-614 changes made the behavior of
DERBY-491 worse, but I'm not sure that they did: it was broken
before, and it's broken (differently) now.

This is kind of a fishing expedition, but could somebody who is
more familiar with DERBY-491 and DERBY-492 have a think about this
and tell me why you think my DERBY-614 changes seemed to impact this area?

thanks,

bryan