db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Adding new SQLStates and messages
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:00:31 GMT
Hello,

In my work on DERBY-746 I have encountered a new type of error that has
no particulary suitable existing SQLState or error message. This is my
first bug fix, and I was wondering what the general policy for adding
new SQLStates is.

Am I free to add whatever I see fit?

In this particular case, I have three choices:
1) Use an existing, but very general state/msg.
2) Create one new state/msg for two different, but related, errors.
    (can add an argument to the error message)
3) Create two new states/msgs.

Is it a goal to keep the number of states and messages down, or doesn't
it matter? From a user perspective, I think a more precise message would
be best (e.g. instead of getting "invalid key" you get something like
"key has invalid length" and "key contains invalid characters").

Feedback on this is appreciated!

--
Kristian