db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: clobber target
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 03:04:25 GMT
> "clean" removes the contents of the build output directory only.
> "clobber" also removes generated files outside of the build
> output directory

Thanks for the good explanation. Two follow-ups:

1) It seems like there are build products (the jars and the
javadoc, at least, perhaps others?) which are not removed by
either "clean" or "clobber". That strikes me as odd; my
expectation when running Ant is that there is some target,
typically "clean", which removes *all* the artifacts that
got built by the Ant scripts.

2) I'm surprised by the concept of removing the class files
but not removing the jar files; I have trouble thinking of
situations in which I'd want to rebuild the class files but not
rebuild the jars.

In general, Derby seems to build so quickly for me (rarely more
than a minute or so for a complete build on the machines that
I have routinely available), that my initial reaction to the build
scripts has been: "too much complexity". I wish I just had a simple
target that said: "blow everything away" and another that said
"build everything that matters". Instead I often find myself doing
awkward things like:

   ant clobber; ant; ant testing; ant buildjars

Am I just missing a simple incantation?

thanks,

bryan