db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject [Fwd: Grant and Revoke, Part I ... DERBY-464...]
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:13:50 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I just attached Grant and Revoke, Part I patch to Jira entry.
(DERBY-464) This implements following items I listed in the previous
message. Some notes on the implementation so far:<br>
<ol>
  <li>dblook needs to be enhanced to emit DDL for grant statements.</li>
  <li>I am working on a JUnit based test suite with many more tests.
Will submit that along with Part II.</li>
  <li>I see some implementation improvements possible with the current
patch. It should be possible to combine several new nodes being added,
to reduce number of nodes and hence foot print. Also, the patch adds a
Java object to new system tables. While Derby already has some java
objects in its system tables, I think, we should discourage adding new
java objects to catalogs. Since Java objects can't be used in SQL
easily, this makes metadata harder to use. I will explore rewriting
SYSCOLPERMS and SYSREQUIREDPERM to not use FormattableBitSet type. I
believe this can be done by having multiple entries in these catalogs
for each column referenced.</li>
  <li>I will update specification to include schema for new system
tables.</li>
</ol>
Let me know if anyone has any comments. I will work on DML support next.<br>
Satheesh<br>