db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oyvind.Bakk...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Derby logo
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:06:10 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Since you are a committer and have a binding vote, could you clarify
> what you mean by this? Is it a veto or are you just expressing your
> opinion?

No, a veto would be a -1 on something. :) I'm expressing my opinion (I
agree with Brian Smith). Perhaps it was confusing since this thread has
[VOTE] in the subject.

I have the feeling that the vote we are doing is on whether we want some
nice, professionally looking graphics versus some home-made crap. Well
of course we want the nice logo. But I think the vote is a bit too much
about presentation and too little about content. I'd like to see more
hi-res, anti-aliased, professionally looking logos before making a
decision. Keeping the Red Hat logo in mind, I'd say "enough with the
hats already". :) I think it's too similar, we'll look like "the Red Hat
database". Also, what people associate with the word Derby varies: A
soccer team, a city in England, horse racing, a hat, more?

But I don't object enough to veto the logo vote. ;)

Oyvind Bakksjo
Trondheim, Norway

View raw message