db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need some help with setting up my Derby development testing environment
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:26:45 GMT
Hi Bryan...

On 11/1/05, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still struggling, trying to get a configuration of
> my system such that I can run 'derbyall' successfully.
>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) java/testing/README.htm does not say anything about
> creating a database; it just says to "cd into a directory
> that does not have any colons or spaces in it." Do I
> need to create a database for the tests to use? Or do they
> all create their own databases? If I need to create a
> database first, does it need to have any particular
> configuration?

 The tests will create their own databases.

2) I'm seeing a bunch of diffs/failures that say "No
> Suitable Driver". I'm wondering whether this means that
> I don't have my db2jcc driver set up correctly. All I
> did was to download the two jar files and put them in
> my CLASSPATH before starting derbyall. Should that have
> been sufficient? How can I confirm that I've got the
> db2jcc driver configured correctly? What else might cause
> me to get "No Suitable Driver"?

 If you do *not* have the db2jcc.jar or db2jcc_license_c.jar in your
classpath, then the tests in the suite 'derbynetmats' should skip. I'm
curious which tests you're seeing the failures.

3) Running 'derbyall', then waiting 6 hours, then staring
> at a giant pile of diffs is not really helping me very
> much; is there a smaller simple test that I can run to
> confirm my environment is set up correcly?

 You can run this:
 java org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTestlang/supersimple.sql
If you're trying for network server with jcc it's like this:
 java -Dframework=DerbyNet
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest lang/supersimple.sql
Network server with derby client goes like this:
 java -Dframework=DerbyNetClient
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest lang/supersimple.sql
 If that proves uneventfull, the next step - depending on what you're after,
might be to run derbylang suite instead of derbyall. We'd normally depend on
the nightly results to show us common failures and run derbyall when ready
to create (or commit) a patch.
 I'm wondering though how you're running, did you download derbyTesting.jar,
or did you get the trunk, do ant all, and then run with the resulting
classes dir in your classpath?
 Myrna

Thanks,