db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject 10.1.2.1 release (was Re: Please check ksh scripts...)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:10:29 GMT

On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:48 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> The ksh scripts work fine on Solaris (tested tar and zip).

Great. (sort of :-) )

> I have found another issue with them, tough. When you just put the
> script directory in your path and type 'ij.ksh', most unices will use
> /bin/sh instead of ksh. Under Linux and Cygwin this is fine because
> /bin/sh actually is Bash, which supports all the ksh commands used in
> the scripts. Under Solaris and BSD /bin/sh is not Bash, and therefore
> the scripts fail.

Wouldn't a #! be sufficient? I guess you never know for sure...

> I'll file a JIRA issue on this and attach a patch.
>
> Sorry I didn't bring it up earlier. (The thing is, I have never
> actually used the scripts.)

Can we agree that this is not a showstopper for 10.1.2.1, considering
that this was an issue for 10.1.1.0? I agree that it would be nice to
fix so that it works 'out-of-the-box' for everyone, but at some point
you need to make a cutoff for fixes, no matter how small. Personally,
I think that this is something that can wait for 10.1.3 and/or 10.2,
and there are other suggestions completely besides scripts (see
Lance's mail about using Ant).

If there are no objections, I think we should target DERBY-667 and
DERBY-677 for 10.1.3.0/10.2.0.0 and continue forward with releasing
10.1.2.1.

andrew