db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Potentially removing compatibility requirements for shared code
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:09:03 GMT
On 11/18/05, Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Due to the embedded nature of derby, and if it were to become popular I
> believe that it may be common for users to wish to run multiple
> instances of Derby in the same VM (actually I don't think users will
> know anything about it as they will be running some other piece of
> software that has chosen Derby so that they could seamlessly run
> a database without letting the user know anything about it). I
> know with Cloudscape there were cases of at least 4 instances of
> Cloudscape in a given JVM, all layered within products that did
> not anything about the other pieces of software.

Absolutely but I'm not sure how this would NO longer be posible - even with
the new proposal, you could still run 4 different instances of Derby in the
same JVM, assuming the database directories are different because of the
lock file...and that you are using separate classloaders as most application
servers would to run a particular deployed app.

Now we can pile hurdles in front of the users or the applications
> embedding Derby and that will work for some number. But any hurdle
> will mean less adoption of Derby.
>
> I understand that the compatibility stuff is a pain, but if Derby
> can solve it then it make it stand out. Just as the soft/hard
> upgrade stuff is a pain to developers but will enable it's use in
> some applications that otherwise could not adopt Derby.

There is a little difference between running 2 different instances of Derby
engines in the same JVM _versus_ running a derby client at a different
version level than a derby engine running in the same JVM - the latter
presently works fairly well since we have no shared component to worry about
between a client and some engine running in the same JVM. I'm not sure
you're talking about the latter case - the potential issues of running
several derby (engine) instances in the same JVM were (or should say are)
already there without code sharing (i.e. required derby engine instances at
a different version level had to run under under separate classloaders in
the same JVM)...

You're right that we try and make the integration of Derby in embedded
environments as painless as possible...