db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deprecating support for mixed client/server version environments?
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:58:21 GMT
On 11/2/05, David W. Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:

> I mean that in version 10.2 we document that "in version 10.3 (or 10.4)
> of Derby, we will no longer support environments where multiple versions
> of Derby are available in the same classloader."

I thought we would still allow that as long as version compatibility allows
it? do we want to completely prevent users from running different versions
of Derby in the same classloader?

Then in version 10.3 (or 10.4) if/when someone sends an email saying
> "I've got this weird bug where upgrades don't seem to have any impact"
> or "when I upgrade I'm getting weird exceptions about methods not being
> found" we can say "run this tool (some form of sysinfo that works with
> classloaders)" and if it shows they have mixed versions we can say
> "don't do that, here are instructions on how to not do that" instead of
> "let's try to fix this."

I guess the expanded 'sysinfo' you're talking about would be something we
could run against a remote Derby instance or against the same JVM? Are you
thinking of having such utility running within a separate classloader of its
own _or_ interact with other classloaders in order to find out what versions
of Derby are running in a particular JVM?

Regarding the instructions on how to not do that - are you thinking of
suggesting the users to run the different versions of Derby in separate
classloaders?

David