db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA-OT in Derby svn
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:14:47 GMT

On Nov 16, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> If we were just committing a jar file or two, like we do with the
> jakarta-servlet jar for the derby code build, I wouldn't see any
> problem at all with it. But by committing the entire software
> distribution we're providing alternate distribution (in addition to
> SourceForge), even if to just a small number of developers. It
> would be as if we included the entire jakarta-servlet distribution,
> which we don't do (lest I cause confusion) and wouldn't do.

Hmm, but we include the entire javacc and jakarta-oro distributions
in the code tree, in tools/java. Should we not be doing that?

> My intuition says this wouldn't fly, but if you feel strongly about
> it, I suggest you close the loop with infrastructure@.

The thing is that I *don't* feel strongly about it. :-)  If it's an
issue, then we continue to point to Sourceforge.

> My preference would be to look into a tool that can automate the
> software fetch, like maven does; and, in the meantime, instruct the
> developers who want to build the derby DITA docs to download the
> tool kit from SourceForge.

I'll look into maven, but in the interest of getting this going, I'll
just commit everything mentioned in my previous mail but the toolkit
zip.

andrew