db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Stewart" <stewartet...@canada.com>
Subject Native Derby?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:27:00 GMT
Hi folks,

Whether it was UCSD Pascal, Java, or whatever, I never much
liked the idea of virtual machines hogging memory and
intermediate bytecode being compiled every time it executes.
Garbage collection never seems to be very reliable, among
other things.

Now that Fedora, for example, ships with native Eclipse and
Tomcat compiled with gcj, I wonder what the prospects are
for a native Derby?

I realize Derby requires, for instance, a JDBC client, which
relies, in turn, on java.sql and javax.sql, but isn't the
FSF Classpath Project already addressing such issues?

Yours truly,
STEWART & CIE.

Steve Stewart

Upgrade your account today for increased storage; mail
forwarding or POP enabled e-mail with automatic virus
scanning. Visit
http://www.canada.com/email/premiumservices.html for more
information.