db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: DRDA product identifier
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:53:37 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> The new Derby-specific identifier (DRB) doesn't provide any technical
> benefit today. However, as Francois points out, IBM is free to alter the
> capabilities of Cloudscape.  DRDA clients may need a way to figure out
> whether they are talking to Derby or Cloudscape.
>
> If Derby and Cloudscape share the same DRDA product namespace, then this
> seems to tightly bind the two products' network capabilities and version
> numbers. This is a practical, not a legal statement. Neither Derby nor
> Cloudscape is served by confusion over server capabilities.
>
> I like Dan's proposal that Derby owns the CSS and DNC namespaces. Other
> databases built from Derby should apply for their own DRDA product ids
> if they are going to alter Derby's capabilities. This pushes the
> compatibility problem onto Cloudscape.
>
> Unless someone objects, on Friday I will ask our DRDA contact (Ian
> Dobson) to make the following changes to the Open Group's website
> (http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/prodid.htm):
>
> o Deprecate the DRB product id
> o Instead, make the Derby entry report DNC as client id and CSS as
> server id

Sounds good.

I would just like to repeat that IBM Cloudscape includes an Apache Derby
distribution built from the ASF Derby code lines. The IBM Cloudscape
team works out of the ASF Derby code lines and fixes bugs/features etc.
directly in those code lines, i.e. in the community.

Thanks,
Dan.
disclaimer - still working for IBM