db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: fn timestampdiff gives error...
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:48:05 GMT
Lance J. Andersen wrote:

> JDBC/ODBC define that the return type range for the TIMESTAMPDIFF
> function is an INTEGER regardless of what the backend engine supports.

Just to be picky, do you actually see 'INTEGER' anywhere, or just 'integer'?

I would see SQL BIGINT, Types.BIGINT and long as all of type integer.

Because if 'integer' means only SQL INTEGER or Types.INTEGER, then the
numeric functions floor and mod should not work against BIGINT values.

I'd always assummed that these types in appendix C of JDBC 3.0 meant:

integer - any integral type
float - any imprecise type
number - any number type

Dan.