db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: fn timestampdiff gives error...
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:31:23 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>Is this function always returning an INTEGER?
>>
>>My guess is that it's up to the engine to define the range it handles,
>>not ODBC or JDBC.
>>

>Though maybe I'm wrong, ODBC does say:
>
>"Returns the integer number of intervals of type interval"
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odbctime__date__and_interval_functions.asp
>
>Thus, the example in the test would be out of range for any conforming
>implementation.

The dml for the tests in question are allowed to be modified allowing
for range issues for a given backend.

The tests check to see if an implementation indicates it supports the
function and if  it does not, the tests pass as you are not required to
support this function.

So the best thing to do is tweak the dml and rerun the test in this suite.