db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DRDA product identifier
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:26:46 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I'm not in a position to speak for IBM. I can't tell the Open Group
> that IBM is relinquishing ownership of the CSS product id and donating
> it to the Derby open source effort. Someone from IBM has to do this. I
> suppose that person should also tell Open Group to abandon the
> separate DRB product identifer. So is this what we want:
>
> CSS is the DRDA product identifier for both Derby client and Derby
> server? Note that other DRDA providers use the same id for both client
> and server.

Derby client's current identifier is "DNC" and could stay the same.

There do not thing there has  to be a one to one match of the Requester
and Server  product id.   Some of the servers have multiple clients and
of course all can't match.    JCC doesn't match any of the servers it
connects to.

I would suggest our line in the talbe could look like this:

DRDA Requester:   DNC
DRDA Server: CSS

DRB goes away.

Would that be acceptable to you?

Now theoretically that documentation would regress  for older versions
of Cloudscape, but I'll take that over a product regression  breaking
every existing Derby client in the world any day.

Thanks

Kathey