db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject question about DatabaseMetaData
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:34:17 GMT
When doing scrollable updatable resultsets for Derby, we are considering
letting

DatabaseMetaData.ownUpdatesAreVisible(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE)
return TRUE

(Retrieves whether for the given type of ResultSet object, the result
set's own updates are visible.)

and

DatabaseMetaData.othersUpdatesAreVisible(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE)
return FALSE

In Derby: updatable resultsets are built on positioned update.  Would it
be ok to make updates made directly using positioned updates (on the
same cursor as the resultset) also be visible from the resultset even if
DatabaseMetaData.othersUpdatesAreVisible(..) returns FALSE ?

I think it would be correct, since we are updating the same cursor,
however I am not sure since the JDBC specification talks about "others"
as other transactions or other resultsets, it does not mention
positioned updates on the same cursor.

-- Andreas