db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject context classloader versus default classloader
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:41:49 GMT
Hi.  I am a little confused between two different "current classloaders"
that are available to appication code:

this.getClass().getClassLoader() -- what I call the "default classloader"

Thread.currentThread.getContextClassLoader() -- what I call the "context
classloader"

When I am creating my own classloader, I want to identify the parent
classloader.  Which one of these should I use?  I noticed that the
engine code uses the context classloader to load application classes,
but sets the default classloader to be its parent when creating a
classloader for loading generated bytecode.

Any and all tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

David