db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Backward compatibility of DataSource implementations
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:43:31 GMT
In my ongoing investigation, it has become quickly obvious to me that
the various DataSource implementations we have must be serializeable so
they can be stored in a JNDI repository.

This means that they must maintain a strict level of compatibility so
that there are not serialization errors if the version of the class
stored in the JNDI repository is older than the version of the class in
the classloader of the client.

 From the comments of ClientDataSource:

- No deleting of fields
- No changing of non-static to static or non-transient to transient, as
this is equivalent to deleting fields
- No changing of field types within the class
- Cannot alter the position of the class in the class hierarchy
- Cannot change class name or package name

Also, it appears we are making every effort to keep the size of these
objects reasonably small as they will in all likelihood be serialized
over the network from the JNDI repository to the client.

Do I have that right?

Thanks,

David