db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Potentially removing compatibility requirements for shared code
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:01:15 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

>I am thinking (and I think Kathey's thinking along the same lines)
>perhaps there is a way to either transparently or with very little work
>from the user (e.g. a property on the connection URL) make it possible
>to isolate loading of Derby classes using some kind of specialized
>classloader.
>
>*If* I can figure something out, this could remove the requirement to
>support backward and forward compatibility, which is a serious albatross
>right now around shared code.

Some how I think the title of this mail  should be either:
"I  think I can find a way to allow mixing of jars of different
versions  in the same JVM without impact or changes required for
existing applications!"
In which case I say "Hooray! go for it."

or

"Remove  mixed jar capability all together  because we might be able to
provide a workaround for users"
In which case I say  "Not now! The current regressions planned are scary
enough!"  Even if the applications can implement the workaround and
release their products today, there is the installed user base to worry
about, they can have an incidental  impact which shouldn't be exacerbated.

"Potentially removing compatibility requirements for shared code"   is
kind of like calling it "Potentially removing the requirement to balance
your check book".  Sounds neat but  is there impact?

Kathey