db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Potentially removing compatibility requirements for shared code
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:32:06 GMT
Hi, all.  I've been reading Kathey's email about her work on a
classloader that can isolate Derby instances (and the trouble she's been
having with system properties), and I'd like to pose something to the list.

I am thinking (and I think Kathey's thinking along the same lines)
perhaps there is a way to either transparently or with very little work
from the user (e.g. a property on the connection URL) make it possible
to isolate loading of Derby classes using some kind of specialized
classloader.

*If* I can figure something out, this could remove the requirement to
support backward and forward compatibility, which is a serious albatross
right now around shared code.

Is this work that you think is valuable, or am I chasing a red herring
(lots of bird analogies in this email).

Thanks,

David