db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Test Harness useprocess=false question
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:29:37 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On 11/17/05, *Daniel John Debrunner* <djd@debrunners.com
> <mailto:djd@debrunners.com>> wrote:
>     The test harness can run tests within the same jvm if useprocess=false.
>     This is set for the nist suite, so that all the sub-scripts are run
>     in a
>     single JVM, mainly for performance reasons.

> This also implies that any tests that need special flags cannot be run
> with useprocess = false.

Are there other cases (other than the nist tests) where we should be
able to run with useprocess set to false?

I dug into some of the test harness code a while ago, trying to
understand a little better how the machinery works (I won't say anything
about how successful I was... ;) ). I think I found other issues with

For example, there are a number of tests that include a call to
System.exit(), which means that when useprocess=false, the test shuts
down the JVM, and the harness is not able to process the results and
clean up after itself.

README.htm in the java/testing directory states the following:

(default=true) Controls whether RunTest runs the test in a separate VM
or in a thread in harness VM. It is potentially useful for debugging
tests. Unit tests are not (yet) runnable with "useprocess=false", though.

<end Quote>

It does not say anything about which tests "useprocess=false" may or may
not work with, other than unit tests.

So I guess the question is: Is this a bug? If so, is it a documentation
bug or a bug in each of the tests listed in the attachment to this e-mail?

View raw message