db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re-enabling VTIs
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:26:29 GMT
I have logged enhancement request 716 to track the re-enabling of
customer-defined Virtual Table Interfaces (VTIs). A little history follows:

Cloudscape used to let users include arbitrary customer written
ResultSets in the FROM lists of queries. This provided a very powerful
ability to impose a tabular face on external data and to join relational
data with external data streams. It is hard to overestimate the
usefulness of this feature. Today, Derby still ships a number of
diagnostic VTIs. However, customer-written VTIs have been disabled. The
parser raises an error when it sees a VTI that doesn't live in Derby's
diagnostic packages.

I would like to develop a plan for addressing the concerns which led to
the disabling of this feature. I would like to see us put this power
back in our customer's hands.

I can imagine that the non-standard nature of VTI declaration was an
issue. Are there other issues? Has anyone given some thought to what a
more acceptable API would look like?

Thanks,
-Rick