db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA-OT in Derby svn
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:04:02 GMT

>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/trunk/lib/
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/lib/core/
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/ddlutils/trunk/lib/
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/beehive/trunk/external/
>>> I could go on, but I won't. :-) Note that the last one has
>>> junit.jar,  which I thought was a no-no?
>>

>> I think you have found adequate precedent.  :-)
>
> So, to bring it back around again - do you think it would be ok to
> check in the binary distribution of the DITA toolkit into the lib
> directory in the Derby docs tree?
>
> andrew

I spoke in haste when I said "I think you have found adequate precedent".

Looking more closely at your list, all I see are jar's, and I don't see
anyone who includes entire distributions. For example, Beehive's
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/beehive/trunk/external/derby/ just
includes the derby jar, and not the entire binary Derby distribution.
(Beehive is an exception because it includes beehive-antext, which is
obvious associated.)

But I'm also not looking closely at all the source for these projects.
Did you spot any that included the distribution for one of the products
it uses?

At any rate, I don't feel comfortable committing the DITA-OT to the
derby repo and I think for now our instructions should simply tell
developers to download and install it.

Is anyone else going to the hackathon at ApacheCon?  I'll be there. That
would be a good opportunity to talk to other project teams about how
these things get handled. (And I promise to summarize whatever is
learned for the derby-dev list.)

  -jean

p.s. If anyone is going to ApacheCon who is not a committer but would
like to go to the hackathon, let me know. Committers can bring
non-committers as guests.