db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA-OT in Derby svn
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:00:00 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>>
>>>  Hmm, but we include the entire javacc and jakarta-oro
>>> distributions  in the code tree, in tools/java. Should we not be
>>> doing that?
>>

>> oh.  :-) It'd be good to follow-up on that. If another Apache  project
>> does the same, then I wouldn't worry about it -- precedent  is good.
>> Also this topic may have been raised before on  infrastructure@ .
>

> Well, here's precedent, FWIW:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan/java/trunk/tools/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/trunk/lib/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/lib/core/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/ddlutils/trunk/lib/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/beehive/trunk/external/
>
> I could go on, but I won't. :-) Note that the last one has junit.jar,
> which I thought was a no-no?

I think you have found adequate precedent.  :-)

My understanding about junit.jar is it's OK to use (and many apache
projects do), but not OK to commit to an asf repo because it's licensed
under the CPL. Junit came up during the DITA* discussions, because both
are under CPL, and that's when we were told we could not commit anything
under CPL to the ASF repos.

  -jean

*DITA: for anyone stumbling onto this post out of context, DITA is now
dual licensed under CPL and ASL.