db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA-OT in Derby svn
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:06:13 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2005, at 7:49 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> so, it sounds more like you want the ease-of-use of a maven plug-in
>> where it's acquired and expanded on demand.
>
> Yes and no. It has to be expanded simply because Ant can't access the
> xml files while they're in the jar. And we have to merge our modified
> file into the expanded toolkit.
>
>> Actually, I suggest first that you check with infrastructure@  (since
>> you're already subscribed) to see if they're ok with  distribution --
>> how big is the zip file? Is this a case where we  should consider
>> using maven instead?
>

> The zip is 2.5MB. Since we'd be distributing it, at best, to a subset
> of Derby developers (some set of less than 47 people, judging by the
> registered JIRA users) I wouldn't think that bandwidth/load would be  an
> issue. It's not as though Derby users would be checking it out  from
> subversion, where the number of downloads would be open-ended  and quite
> possibly a high number.
>
> Is maven the right answer? I don't know. If you think so, I'll look
> into it.

If we were just committing a jar file or two, like we do with the
jakarta-servlet jar for the derby code build, I wouldn't see any problem
at all with it. But by committing the entire software distribution we're
providing alternate distribution (in addition to SourceForge), even if
to just a small number of developers. It would be as if we included the
entire jakarta-servlet distribution, which we don't do (lest I cause
confusion) and wouldn't do. My intuition says this wouldn't fly, but if
you feel strongly about it, I suggest you close the loop with
infrastructure@.

My preference would be to look into a tool that can automate the
software fetch, like maven does; and, in the meantime, instruct the
developers who want to build the derby DITA docs to download the tool
kit from SourceForge.

  -jean