db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA-OT in Derby svn
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:49:10 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2005, at 8:13 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Andrew, I don't think we can just commit the entire DITA Open  Toolkit
>> to the Derby doc repo without doublechecking what the ASF  process
>> might be.
>

> Note that I'm planning on checking the ASL-licensed 'bin' zip file  into
> the repo, and not source files, and as such I was hoping that we  could
> treat it like a library. Obviously the NOTICE (and possibly  COPYRIGHT)
> file in the docs tree would need to be updated  accordingly. Ant would
> expand the zip file at build time, because  there is not currently a way
> to use the files in the toolkit while  they're still in the jar.

so, it sounds more like you want the ease-of-use of a maven plug-in
where it's acquired and expanded on demand.

>> The process for handling the two DITA files that were originally at
>> issue, xsl/dita2fo-shell.xsl and resource/commonltr.css, is simple.
>

> Right, and I propose that only Jeff's modified dita2fo-shell.xsl into
> the repository as a source file, the rest of the toolkit as a binary
> file. The intention is that dita2fo-shell.xsl will be the only file  we
> would modify.
>
>> I understood at the time that if we wanted to import an entire
>> subproject from some other home, Apache has different processes
>> depending on the size of the import.
>>
>> So, if you want to import the entire DITA Open Toolkit, we need to
>> check to see what that process is.
>

> Should I start a thread on legal-discuss? Or would you like to take  the
> lead on that, since you're on the PMC and have already led  discussions
> on this topic?

Actually, I suggest first that you check with infrastructure@ (since
you're already subscribed) to see if they're ok with distribution -- how
big is the zip file? Is this a case where we should consider using maven
instead?

  -jean