db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Curious error trying to build derby source with JDK 1.5 on Linux (Sun JDK)
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:36:08 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

>>> As part of preparing to work on DERBY-666 I've been setting myself
>>> up to be able to build and test Derby using JDK 1.5.

> So what I'm trying to do is to figure out what is necessary, in
> the build and test environment, to add JDK 1.5 as a supported
> environment.
>
> And, I tried the naive experiment of simply making JDK 1.5 my
> "native" environment, and encountered a very strange error which
> I don't really understand.
>
> So, consider my question to be:
>
>   What is the best way to incorporate JDK 1.5 into the Derby
>   build and test environment as a supported JDK?

I think you need to follow the same way that jdk 1.4 and
J2ME/CDC/Foundation are set up.

First step is the classpath that is specific to the environment, compare
to jsr169compile.classpath and java14compile.classpath. Look in the
build.xml files and properties files for ant to see how it is set up and
used.

Set up separate targets for the classes you need to build under jdk 1.5,
see build.xml in java/engine/org/apache/derby/jdbc for examples.
Remember to exclude the file for any catch all targets in the same file.

Now the tricky part will be if you need the jdk 1.5 compiler. Maybe the
real first step would be to compile Derby as-is using the jdk 1.5
compiler, in some jdk 1.4 mode. If that works make the changes above and
then see if you can provide flags in the ant javac action that switch
its mode to jdk 1.5.

For an example of different compiler usage, look for the jikes setup, I
think start in BUILDING.txt.

Hope this helps,

Dan.