db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: New features for next release .... (Was: Grant and Revoke ... DERBY-464...)
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:19:55 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I like Lance's suggestion and would like to propose it as a general
> policy. I think that this will handle Army's XML work as well as the
> other new 10.2 datatypes:
>
> If you add a new datatype to a server release (e.g., BOOLEAN or XML),
> then you must specify the following:

Where would we specify these?  In the code, in the documentation, in the
functional spec, somewhere else, all of the above?  By specify do you mean for
informational/doc purposes, or are you referring to actual code in the
server/client that does this "specifying"?

> 1) A legacy datatype to which the new type maps when the server talks to
> old clients. The legacy type is some datatype in JDBC 2.0
> java.sql.Types. This is the type which old clients see in
> DatabaseMetaData and ResultSetMetaData.

Does "old client" here simply mean Derby clients with Derby versions earlier
than the server version (regardless of client-side jvm), or does it also mean
"old clients" in the sense that you defined it in one of your other posts, namely:

- The DB2JCC client
- The 10.1 client
- A 10.2 client running on jdk1.3 (JDBC 2), jdk1.4 (JDBC 3), or jdk1.5 (JDBC 3)

(assuming the appropriate Derby and jvm versions are substituted in)?

Army