db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Curious error trying to build derby source with JDK 1.5 on Linux (Sun JDK)
Date Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:33:29 GMT
>>As part of preparing to work on DERBY-666 I've been setting myself
>>up to be able to build and test Derby using JDK 1.5.
>
> You need to use JDK 1.4 to build Derby.

I think I didn't make my question very clear.

I already have a JDK 1.4 build environment set up for Derby,
and I am able to build it successfully and run the tests.

However, I am interested in working on bug DERBY-666, for which the
proposed fix involves using some new JDK 1.5 features. This fix
would only be available to users who were able to use JDK 1.5 in
their environment, but for many users that might be acceptable.

So what I'm trying to do is to figure out what is necessary, in
the build and test environment, to add JDK 1.5 as a supported
environment.

And, I tried the naive experiment of simply making JDK 1.5 my
"native" environment, and encountered a very strange error which
I don't really understand.

So, consider my question to be:

   What is the best way to incorporate JDK 1.5 into the Derby
   build and test environment as a supported JDK?

thanks,

bryan