db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby GiST Indexing
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:55:11 GMT
Hi Todd,

In case you didn't see this message here's Dan's response. Regards-Rick

Hi Dan,

> Todd Williams forwarded the following email from the archives. It says
> that IBM folks had been working on a pluggable indexing scheme and you
> were looking into donating some of this code to the community. Do you
> know where this stands?

I thought Mike had sent out e-mail in that discussion (a long time ago)
that the prototype code was very incomplete, coded against Cloudscape
5.x and not worth releasing. So IBM has no plans to contribute the code.

Dan.

Todd Williams wrote:

>I heard that someone managed to write a GiST
>implementation for Derby but have not been able to
>find any information out about it.  I am particularly
>interested in the 'pluggable' indexing API of Derby
>and any examples (like the GiST implementation) of
>someone using it.  What I want to do is use the
>Derby-GiST project or something similiar to show me
>how I can plug in my own indexing algorithm to Derby,
>
>Thanks in advance,
>-Todd
>

>-Todd Williams

>"Any sufficiently advanced [software] bug is indistinguishable from a feature." - Kulawiec,
Rich