db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Derby-573 - optimizer overrides changes to metadata.properties and upgrade
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:11:47 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:

> I am not sure if there is a place - maybe dan has written something up.
>
> The way I think about it is, if your 10.2 feature can not work without
> db upgrades to a 10.1 db it should be disabled in soft upgrade.  If
> your feature would somehow change the 10.1 db such that 10.1 server
> will no longer work in some way then it must be disabled in soft
> upgrade.
>
> The one I am never sure about is I believe it ok to add a feature
> available under soft upgrade, even it an application which uses it will
> no longer work under the previous version, since in that case the
> application decided to make itself not backward compatible.

I believe these should be allowed. It is only anything written in to the
on-disk database that would not be understood by previous releases that
should be disabled.

If an application uses a new feature then that's their choice. It also
allows experimentation with the new feature, say seeing in using the new
feature allowed performance increases, while still allowing reversion to
10.1/10.0.

Dan.