db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby-573 - optimizer overrides changes to metadata.properties and upgrade
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:59:51 GMT
I am not sure if there is a place - maybe dan has written something up.

The way I think about it is, if your 10.2 feature can not work without
db upgrades to a 10.1 db it should be disabled in soft upgrade.  If
your feature would somehow change the 10.1 db such that 10.1 server
will no longer work in some way then it must be disabled in soft
upgrade.

The one I am never sure about is I believe it ok to add a feature
available under soft upgrade, even it an application which uses it will
no longer work under the previous version, since in that case the
application decided to make itself not backward compatible.