db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New features for next release .... (Was: Grant and Revoke ... DERBY-464...)
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:05:38 GMT

Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

>Hi Rick,
>
>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>We will probably have to collaborate here. If you select an XML
>>column, the ResultSetMetaData needs to say that the column is of type
>>java.sql.SQLXML. This, at least, was the consensus of the community
>>which prevented me from re-enabling the BOOLEAN datatype a couple
>>months ago: Kathey and David pointed out that it was not OK for
>>ResultSetMetaData to report a boolean column's type as SMALLINT.
>>Similarly, it's not going to be OK for ResultSetMetaData to report the
>>type of an XML column as java.sql.LONGVARCHAR.
>>

>It doesn't seem right to expose a JDBC 4.0 type to a JDBC 3.0 client.
>What good would that do, since JDBC 3.0 clients are probably written to
>expect JDBC 3.0 functionality only? I wonder if we might even break GUIs
>and other generic tools that expect 3.0 types only. Since we may be
>close to enabling full JDBC 4.0 in the near term, why not expose only
>JDBC 3.0 types to 3.0 clients? That is to expose XML type as a CLOB
>under JDBC 3.0 and as SQLXML for a JDBC 4.0 client. This would expose a
>new type to Derby server, XML, to JDBC by mapping it to it's closest
>match. Remember the TINYINT discussion and Dan's point?

A JDBC 3 driver should not return SQLXML as a type in ResultSetMetaData.

I am not sure TINYINT is the same discussion though as JDBC has provided
support for this since JDBC 1.0.x.

A JDBC 3 driver should only return results defined in classes for the
given version of JDBC and since JDBC 3 did not have SQLXML in
java.sql.Types, you need to return a different value.

>I don't remember what was discussed about this during the BOOLEAN
>discussion... but if JDBC already supports a boolean type, that would
>seem correct to map it to, rather than say SMALLINT.

Correct, if the datatype is in Types.java and the backend datatype is
also there, they should map to the same (unless there is something major
league wrong with what the meaning of the type is on the backend)

Regards
Lance