db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Common code and client SQL Exceptions
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:20:01 GMT
Hi, all.  As Dan mentioned, we need to migrate our SQLException
mechanisms to no longer inherit from java.sql.SQLException, because JDBC
4.0 has its own hierarchy of subclasses of SQLException.

It makes sense to do this migration on the client side as part of moving
the client exception code to use internationalized message strings.

However, this is not a small change.  Right now every public JDBC method
in the client code throws org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.  I
would also need to change all the public method codes to catch our
internal exception and transmogrify these into java.sql.SQLException (or
subclasses thereof).

Rather than try to accomplish all this as part of my initial
contribution of the shared code infrastructure, I'd like to separate the
two.  So, what I am proposing is that the common area include message
and exception utilities which are used by the engine, but not at this
point by the network client.

If anyone has any objections, please let me know.

Thanks,

David