db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: PLEASE READ AND REVIEW: Proposed text for code sharing contribution
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 04:37:58 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> So, how about
>
> "Older versions of Derby jars will get their expected behavior in a
> mixed version environment regardless of jar ordering.  Newer versions
> of Derby jars will get new behavior if the newer jar files are loaded
> first, and older behavior if the older jar files are loaded first.

I like the sound of  it!  Now that I know for sure that is what we are
promising users,   next week I'll try some stuff out with the patch and
try to understand  how  maintaining the internal API backward/forward
compatibility will translate into SQL and JDBC compatibility with the
masking issues going on.

Kathey