db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: PLEASE READ AND REVIEW: Proposed text for code sharing contribution
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:55:32 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Yes, that's correct, that's the intent of the forward-compatibility
> guidelines and mechanisms.
>
> I could add this text:
>
> "Older versions of Derby jars will get their expected behavior in a
> mixed version environment regardless of jar ordering.  Newer versions
> of Derby jars will get their expected behavior as long as the newer
> jar files are loaded first."

But it is also important that the newer jars still work at the lower
revision level even if they are not loaded first.  Will that be the case ?
For instance if  I have a 10.2 client and a 10.3 server with the client
loaded first,  all of the 10.2 functionality even if it uses shared code
should still work for the server.   We always need to at least negotiate
down to the lower level and I don't think your sentence says that.