db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] ditaot in derby svn base feedback / external docs doc
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:13:52 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> scott hutinger wrote:
>
>> ... 1) Since the Dita OT has an apache license, some or all of the
>> source can be put in svn.
>

> One of the first steps is to verify the DITA ASL distribution works for
> Derby. I logged DERBY-687 for this.

I think it'd be helpful to summarize why we (well, I) asked the DITA
project to dual license the DITA Open Toolkit under the ASL.

Two files drove it.

The first file is resource/commonltr.css , which ideally should be put
on the Derby web site to improve display of the html manuals. That file
can't be on the Apache web site unless it's available under the ASL.

The second file is xsl/dita2fo-shell.xsl, an XSL style sheet for PDF
output that Jeff Levitt modified for Derby. That file gets used when you
build the documentation.

Instead of asking the DITA project team to contribute those two files to
the ASF, I asked them to dual license the tool kit under the ASL. That
way if any other files in the future need to be tweaked for Derby we can
do so without worrying about license issues.

So that's the history as I remember it.

  -jean